About emergency NHS dentist and other important aspects you must be aware about

About emergency NHS dentist and other important aspects you must be aware about

The NHS or National Health Service offers some great benefits as far as oral health treatments are concerned. But a large number of people are not aware about it. Even if some people have some idea, their understanding is not very clear or sound. Thus they keep facing a lot of inconveniences when it comes to getting treatment for various oral health issues. Keeping that in mind this blog post has been created to help people make a sound and clear idea about the benefits that the NHS dentist offers.

What should I do if I need emergency dental treatment?

If you ever need any emergency dental treatment you should first try arranging an appointment with a dentist. You can make use of the NHS UK website to find out a dentist within your area.

What should I do when the surgery is closed and I need treatment in an emergency?

It may happen that you are in need of a dental emergency treatment when your regular dentist is closed. In that case the first that you should do is you will not panic. Visit the page Dental Helplines by following the link below.

 The page will provide you with the needful information. Moreover by placing a call at a local number you can also get the appropriate clinical advice and even treatment if necessary. Your dentist will be advertising this number on his or her answerphone.

Dental emergency – what is it?

According to an emergency dentist in Wimbledon the following are considered as dental emergencies. If you experience any of these conditions you must see your regular dentist. Alternatively you can also dial the NHS helpline at 111.

  • Swelling in the tongue, lips or cheeks that makes your breathing difficult (This type of cases usually requires immediate referral to A&E department)
  • Sharp pain in the teeth that is not eased by over the counter painkillers
  • Sharp cuts to the gums or the lips
  • Severely broken or fractured tooth
  • Completely knocked out tooth
  • Uncontrolled bleeding from the socket of a tooth following extraction

Toothache under no circumstance is considered as dental emergency. Apart from these there are many other dental issues that require prompt care and attention. To get treatment for such conditions you can contact any dental practice. Alternatively you may also call 111. On the other hand if you require advice on pain relief it is best to get in touch with your regular dentist.

In case my NHS dental treatment goes wrong what should I do?

As a patient you may have undergone any of the following procedures with the NHS as a part of your course treatment – root canal, filing, crown, inlay or porcelain veneer. If the procedure fails within 12 months then your dentist has to repair or replace it free of cost. A little explanation will make the topic clearer feels an emergency dentist in London.

Suppose your dental filling falls out after six months. in that case your dentist replaces it for free . The same applies to other dental appliances like bridges, braces and dentures. On the other hand if your dental appliance (Bridges, braces or dentures) gets lost or damaged then you have to pay the full NHS dental charge for replacing it. Even if your dental appliances require replacement because of wear and tear in that case too you have to pay the full NHS dental charge to have it replaced.

If your dental crown or filling needs any repair or replacement within 12 months, it is advisable to revisit the NHS dentist who initially carried out the procedure. The dentist is committed to repair or replace it for free.

How to lodge a complaint about my dentist?

Under the NHS scheme patients are entitled to lodge complaints about any aspect of the services provided by a dental practice. You should raise complaints through the practice manager or directly with the dental practice. Complaints must be lodged within 12 months of an incident occurring. If you do not want to get involved with the practice straightaway then you can get in touch with the concerned team at the local Health Board and inform them about the issue.

A dentist with years of experience in providing urgent dental care in London says if a patient has a complaint against the NHS service the individual can rely on the local Community Health Council. The local body provides confidential advice and support free to patients who have complaints against the NHS service.

You may be unsatisfied with the final response to the complaint you lodged. In that case you can place your grievance directly to the Public Services Ombudsman. The Ombudsman service is absolutely impartial and free. Moreover it is also independent of every statutory body. 

How can I lodge complain about a private dentist?

Private dental patients and dental professionals may have complaints about private dental services. In order to resolve these complaints the Dental Complaints Service has come into existence. You can telephone these people directly on all weekdays from 9 to 5. Alternatively you can also place your complaint by filling up a form on their website.

Is it possible for a dentist to change from an NHS to a private dentist?

An emergency NHS dentist in London explains it is possible for a dentist to change from an NHS to a private dentist. After all dentists too are independent professionals. However before making the changeover one has to serve a three months notice. In that case even patients have no bindings. When your NHS dentist changes to a private dentist you may either choose to stay with the dentist and pay private fees for your treatment. Alternatively you can also search for another NHS dentist nearby.

Am I allowed access to my dental records?

Both private and NHS patients possess every right to get access to copies of their dental records. In order to get the copies one has to write a formal request to the dentist. In certain cases patient may be asked to show proof of identity before handing over the copy of the records.   

Moreover one may have to pay a fee for getting access to the records. The maximum amount that you can be charged is £50 for manually held records whereas £10 for computer held records. This fee is mostly meant to cover the administration cost and nothing else says a dentist associated with the SW19 Confidental Dental Clinic. The dentist has to respond to the formal request for handing over records within 40 days.

Must Read:


Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *