Governments borrow in the form of bonds and securities to fund infrastructure projects, increase transparency, fight inflation, and offer safe investments. Investors can get interested in G-secs because they are risk free.
If you’re looking to start investing in government securities, or “G-Secs,” there are a few things you should know. G-Secs are debt securities issued by the Indian government to raise funds for various development and infrastructure projects. They are considered to be one of the safest investment options available, as they are backed by the full faith and credit of the Indian government.
There are a variety of G-Secs available for investors to choose from, depending on their investment objectives.
Read our latest government bonds
Here is a list of the best G-Secs you should consider owning in your portfolio:
1) The 7.75% GOI Savings Bonds 2020: This bond offers a fixed interest rate of 7.75% per annum and has a maturity period of 5 years. It is ideal for investors looking for a safe and secure investment option with decent returns.
2) The 6.65% GOI Savings Bonds 2021: This bond offers a fixed interest rate of 6.65% per annum and has a maturity period of 3 years. It is ideal for investors who are seeking short-term capital gains.
3) The 8.15% GOI Savings Bonds 2022: This bond offers a fixed interest rate of 8.15% per annum and has a maturity period of 10 years. It is suitable for investors looking for long-term growth potential in their investment portfolios.
4) The 7.40% GOI Savings Bonds 20 23: This bond offers a fixed interest rate of 7.40% per annum and has a maturity period of 7 years. It is an ideal investment option for those looking for moderate returns with relatively low risk.
5) The 7.60% GOI Savings Bonds 2024: This bond offers a fixed interest rate of 7.60% per annum and has a maturity period of 10 years. It is an ideal investment option for those seeking higher returns from their G-Sec investments.
Check out our portal for investing in bonds
[Also Read:-Best NFT Marketplaces]
What is a G-Sec?
A G-Sec is a government security, which is a debt instrument issued by the government of India. It is backed by the central government and is considered to be one of the safest investments in India. The interest rate on G-Secs is fixed, and they are exempt from tax.
What are the 5 best G-Secs to own in your portfolio?
Investing in government securities is one of the smartest and safest ways to invest your money. Government securities are debt instruments issued by the government to raise funds for its various activities.
The government securities market in India is quite large and diverse, with a wide range of options available for investors. With so many options available, it can be difficult to decide which government securities are the best to own in your portfolio.
Here are 5 of the best government securities that you should consider owning in your portfolio:
1. Savings Bonds: Savings bonds are debt instruments issued by the government that offer a fixed rate of interest. They are typically sold at face value and mature after a predetermined period of time.
2. Treasury Bills: Treasury bills are short-term debt instruments issued by the government with maturities ranging from 91 days to 364 days. They are sold at a discount from face value and accrue interest until maturity.
3. Government Dated Securities: Government dated securities are long-term debt instruments issued by the government with maturities ranging from 2 years to 30 years. They offer a fixed rate of interest and are typically sold at face value.
4. State Development Loans: State development loans are long-term debt instruments issued by state governments in India with maturities ranging from 10 years to 20 years. They offer a fixed rate of interest and can be redeemed prior to maturity at par value.
5. Municipal Bonds: Municipal bonds are debt instruments issued by municipalities (local governments) in India. They have a wide range of maturities and offer a fixed rate of interest.
When it comes to G-Secs, there are a few things you should keep in mind. Firstly, they are a very safe investment and offer a good return. Secondly, they are very liquid and can be easily sold if you need the money. Lastly, they are a good way to diversify your portfolio and reduce risk.
We hope our list of the 5 best G-Secs has helped you make a decision on which ones to add to your portfolio. Remember, always do your own research before investing and consult with a financial advisor if you have any questions.
[Also Read:-Retail investors in India | Why Retail Investors Lose Money In Stock Market]